Thursday, March 20, 2008

UWB questions Bluetooth on Wi-Fi

Call it the jealous wife syndrome. The Ultrawideband community has been rumbling since the Bluetooth SIG announced it would create a version of its spec that works over both 802.11abg and UWB. Jack Shandle, editor of the Wireless Net Designline got the folks at Staccato to give the first technical analysis of their concerns.

Jack makes it clear part of the issue may be the competitive politics of the emerging UWB crowd fighting to retain as much as possible of what was going to be an exclusive application. The technical part of the issue, according to the Staccato paper, is that Bluetooth over Wi-Fi may create interference with IMT-2000 and WiMax traffic at distances up to 16 meters. The paper says the industry should conduct more tests and consider defining mitigation schemes or recommending use only of the 5GHz 802.11a spec.

Jack is seeking broader industry comment on the issue, and I'd like to hear what you have to say about it, too.

BTW, I am in the middle of a ten-day Asia trip, thus fewer posts than usual. But ping me if I am missing something big and I'll try to make time to post.

1 comment:

Smartphone said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

 
interconnects