Monday, May 21, 2007

Here comes the fast Express train

Pericom Semi is jumping the gun by announcing two switches for the 5 GHz PCI Express Gen2 before the PCI Special Interest Group even completes its compliance tests. I guess it's always nice to get some recognition and Pericom does tend to fly under the radar screen. However, I don't think there is going to be any big rush to board this latest fast train.

Yes, Pericom has correctly identified that gamers and some technical apps will fuel initial demand with their hunger for multiple graphics accelerators. The new chips can help bring multiple GPUs to one system, even if the chip set is based on today's pedestrian 2.5 GHz Express. (Remember when 500 MHz was considered blazingly fast?!) But outside these niches there won't be much of a market to serve for awhile.

Disagree? Let me know with a posting here or email me at rbmerrit@cmp.com. I'll be at the PCI SIG Dev Con today trying to assess the outlook for Express 2.0 among other things, and I welcome your feedback.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Isn't the Pericom device a simple mux and not a PCIe Switch. I think you would more or less find this new part in everyday Bus applications and not on gaming cards.

 
interconnects