Monday, March 12, 2007

Will Moto's set-tops go wireless?


I can hardly believe it. Set-top box makers and TV service providers have told me time and again there is no way they will trust premium broadcast TV delivery to wireless anything. They don't want the support calls when glitches interrupt the big game or the HBO special--let alone security hassles from stolen premium content in apartment buildings. I've heard it from AT&T, Comcast and Cisco's Scientific Atlanta division.

But here comes startup Amimon with its variation of 802.11n and Motorola Ventures as a backer in its latest capital round. The quote in the press release is the real eyebrow raiser.

“Our investment reflects our belief that Amimon's solution is well positioned to offer a high quality wireless uncompressed HDTV link between video sources such as digital set-top and high-definition TVs,” said a Moto Ventures spokesman.

For now, I am chalking this up to a lot of creative spin. Moto makes no promise of shipping wireless set-tops of any variety in the press release, so I'll believe it when I see it.

No comments:

 
interconnects