Thursday, March 22, 2007

Parallel tracks: HDMI and DisplayPort


I finally had the chance to catch up with one of my long time good contacts, Phil Eisler, now vice president of the chip set division at AMD. I wanted to know how Phil sees the HDMI vs. DisplayPort battle playing out.

"I think the two will co-exist. I see DisplayPort as a replacement for DVI and HDMI as a replacement for TV-out," Phil said.

HDMI is already well entrenched in TVs and other consumer gear, he explained, while AMD and other companies won't be in production with their first DisplayPort devices until late this year. The transition to HDMI that's happening in TVs now will be echoed by a similar transition from DVI and VGA to DisplayPort in PCs in 2009, he added.

There's not much of a winner-takes-all scenario here.

"PC companies see DisplayPort as a bridge to CE systems, but I don’t know if that will happen. I haven’t heard of any CE companies picking up DisplayPort, and that will have to happen for this to be true," he told me.

"The history of standards going in that [PC to CE] direction has not been strong," Phil said.

Sounds like a solid, objective analysis to me. Thanks Phil!

No comments:

 
interconnects